« on: August 14, 2008, 01:22:07 PM »
1. Jeanann Verlee on the first night of prelims. "Unsolicited Advice..." was one of the best poems I heard all week.
2. My team, St. Paul--we worked hard as underdogs to bring original & honest poems, and made Semis in the process. In particular: 6 is 9--his poem, "Her Name," from prelims, where he gets into character as an old man with memory problems. The entire room was weeping.
3. Ian's pizza. The lasagna pizza was awesome--I never got to try the mac n cheese pizza, though.
4. Finals. Way better than last year--Boston especially wowed me with the quality of their writing.
5. Dr. Sheila winning Spirit of the Slam, and the beautiful performance of her poem with the empty spotlit mic. I cried harder than I have in years.
6. Boise's "Sirens" poem. Hilarious, inspired, and quite original.
7. Downtown Madison--there were tons of awesome restaurants & stores, and campus was very pretty.
8. Josh Healey (of Madison)--his poem before Finals, "Elegy for Peter Norman." Very elegant, moving, honest, and unique.
9. Anis' sacrifice poem on the 2nd night of prelims at the Brink. Beautiful.
10. Blair (of Detroit)--his tabledancing/Journey poem from the final night of prelims (against Charlotte, Eureka, & Nuyorican). So great.